CATHOLIC SPECIAL RELIGIOUS EDUCATION (SRE) TRAINING PROCESS
There are three main certification courses offered by the CCD for Catechists and Catechists-in-training – Level I,
Level II and the diploma level, Level III. Training is an important aspect of the Catechist ministry and some of the knowledge and skills that you acquire will prove to be absolutely invaluable. Topics range from the basics of Christology to Classroom management and how to engage the children.
These courses are provided with no cost to participants, except for some of your valuable time. It is a pre-requisite of becoming a Catechist to at least complete Level I.
Training is completed initially on-line through the CCRESS website. Your Parish Co-ordinator will secure access to
the website and provide you with a USER ID and Password. Subjects available include-
- Child Protection Training
- SRE in the Parish & School
- Teaching Authority of the Church
- Development of the Child & Adolescent
- Children With Special Needs
- Introduction to the Bible
- Using an Authorised Curriculum
- Mission and Ministry of the Catechist
- SMARTBoard Training
- Practicing Classroom Techniques
- Using Visual Aids
- Prayer, music & song in SRE
- Living our Faith
You will be required to complete the Child Protection Training and Classroom Skills within the first year of your
ministry. There is significant support provided to assist you in the training process.
Ongoing training is provided each year with Parish Visits and Reflection Days conducted by the CCD.